Monday, November 12, 2007

Round 3 at the PraxisKlinik (ground level)

Today I'm back in the thick of the action at the PraxisKlinik. I get a small dose of fevertherapy for my initial visit -- and even so, Christine gives me an aspirin injection halfway through to minimize the effect. She wants to make sure I don't have too strong a reaction, in preparation for tomorrow's injection of dendritic cells (the centerpiece of this week's visit.)

Despite these precautions, I have a really strong reaction to the fevertherapy -- lots of shivering, and a relatively high fever of 102 degrees. When I try to lie down for my hyperthermia treatment, I'm not able to lie straight because of pain in my sacrum and lower back -- Dr. Thaller almost insists that I get a shot of fenadryl, but I insist on letting it calm down on my own, and eventually I'm able to relax the spasm and let the fever wind down on its own course.

For dessert, I get an injection of Natural Killer cells directly into my prostate. As always, this is one of my most fun activities here at the Klinik!

At the end of it all, it's an unexpectedly exhausting day. I can only walk home by focusing on one step at a time. And it's late in the evening before I feel normal again.

No comments: