Thursday, November 8, 2007

Another Viewpoint

Yesterday I had my weekly appointment with Francis, a local healer that several people have recommended very highly. He's humble, non-descript, Scottish, and has a definite spiritual power. I've felt things move during his sessions with me. And I'm a big fan of synthesizing several approaches, so I see him regularly.

I've always been with him in groups, but yesterday I started out the session with him on my own. He asked me about my Gleason score (a particular way of measuring the extent of the cancer), and asked what I was doing to treat it. I explained Dr. Thaller's procedures briefly.

Then he asked me if I had become vegetarian. "No," I said, "I've cut out red meat but still eat chicken and fish." He launched into a very articulate defense of not eating meat because of the death it necessarily entails. He was strong and pretty relentless. "There's no happy pill you can take to cure your cancer," he said. "Nothing will really happen until you take responsibility for curing your own cancer by eating the right things, and by helping heal the pancreas -- when you have cancer you don't have a proper supply of pancreatin. It's your own choice, of course, but that's what you're looking at."

I was pretty taken aback -- not just because of his firm tone, or the fact that this was the first time he had spoken more than a couple of words to me. It was the synchronicity at work. What he described was almost exactly the same treatment that Dr. Gonzalez recommends, and that I've been reading extensively about. Chalk it up as one more strong clue from the universe.

2 comments:

Linda O. said...

Hi Nick! Hope you're doing well over there in Germany. I just had to put in my 2 cents regarding the comment "defense of not eating meat because of the death it necessarily entails." That's B.S. in my book. Every death is part of our circle of life. You may not want to kill your own food (I don't) but the result of a beast dying to feed, clothe, or even entertain (Shudder)is the fate of the beast.

Also, I caution against accusations like "Nothing will really happen until you take responsibility for curing your own cancer by eating the right things ..." as being in that "blame the victim catagory."

I hurts me that someone said that to you as though you are not doing everything you can to get well. Plenty of people have their cancers in remission and ate meat the whole time. Probably (I have no stats) even people with cancer just like yours.

I say all this because I feel like protecting you and defending you. I don't mean to undermine your treatment or therapists. I expect you'll make your own decisions based on your own soul's desires and I have perfect faith that you will overcome this disease.

Love you,

Linda

skadden said...

i've had a couple therapies with francis. my second mom, linda, is in his spiritual healing class. i found it to be a very intense physical experience. in fact, i could barel breathe the first time.