Saturday, November 17, 2007

Farewell for Now

Today's the last day of this visit to the PraxisKlinik. I try the fevertherapy this morning, and there's some lower back pain (strange…), but otherwise it's very light.

I get an injection of Newcastle Disease Virus in the prostate this morning, which is always exciting and fun. ;-)

I work out the bill with Christine, and happily hand her a check for 10,000 Euros -- nearly $15,000. Thanks to all the gifts and generous help from everyone, we were able to make this visit happen. If we're able to come again in January for the next visit, it will cost a bit more, nearly 15,000 Euros.

Around noon, Dr. Thaller comes upstairs to say goodbye to all of us, as he is leaving early in the day to go to a wedding. He shakes everyone's hands, says a few words, and starts to head off for downstairs. At the last moment he turns around and heads back toward my bed at the back of the room. He folds his hands at his heart and bows slightly to me, very reverently -- and I do the same in return. I feel honored by his salutation, and almost instantly I have the strong sense that this may be the last time I see him.

So a grand thank you to Herr Dr. Thaller and Christine and Michael and Tanya -- you have all been so very wonderful!

No comments: