Thursday, November 1, 2007

Eek, symptoms!!

Ever since I got the first shot in my hormone blockage therapy a few months ago, I've been relatively symptom-free. This is a wonderful thing -- the symptoms I was experiencing in July were *awful* -- real difficulty in peeing, unearthly constipation -- all kinds of wonderful dinnertime topics.

The shots (which go under various names -- I've had Eligard and Trelstar) -- last for about three months. Because of traveling to Germany, I hadn't been able to schedule my 2nd shot until this week. Since I was a few weeks behind, I started to notice the gradual reappearance of -- eek, *symptoms*!

It wasn't bad -- a slight difficulty in peeing and slight constipation -- but it was enough to bring me up with a start and remind me that the cancer wasn't just some abstract entity. It's a real, creeping thing in my system, and unless I find a way to destroy it by the time the hormone blockage runs out, I'm in a heap of trouble.

Fortunately, the Trelstar shot* has calmed down the symptoms. And I'm confident that the treatments I'm seeking will really do a number on the cancer that's remaining. But it was definitely a wake-up call to feel what the effects of cancer can be.

----
* a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I would be substituting the supplement ProstaSol for the hormone blockage therapy. It turns out I received bad information -- the doctor who came up with the ProstaSol protocol recommends staying on hormone blockage therapy while taking ProstaSol. So I'm taking his advice.

No comments: