Friday, September 28, 2007

Last Day in Markt Berolzheim




I had one last intense fever therapy session today. The shivering was intense (over 30 minutes!), and the fever got up to 104.4°. Also local hyperthermia on my scapula.

Kristina packed up the supplies we'll need to continue injections of the Newcastle Disease Virus until we return to the PraxisKlinik in six weeks. Tanya and Kristina and I had a long "conversation" (them in German, me in English) about my flight times and the time difference with Texas to determine if we had enough dry ice to protect the virus for the whole trip. It doesn't seem like it will be a problem.

Then came "die Rechnung", the bill for the past two weeks. Because of the start of the dendritic cell therapy, this will be our most expensive trip here: the total was $24,887. Yow! Liz wryly noted that this would be a down payment on an apartment in the South Bronx…but then, I'd still have cancer, and I'd be stuck in the South Bronx!

All in all a really great trip. Herr Doktor Thaller gave me the highlights of my laboratory results from this week: my liver functions have *dramatically* improved since the last visit. And my PSA is down to 4.2, less than half of what it was the previous visit. Yippee!!

No comments: