Sunday, September 30, 2007

Detour

Well, we almost made it out of Germany. We woke up at 3am Saturday to head to the Munich Airport. I was feeling weird pains in my side but ignored them -- we had to make it to the airport and turn in the rental car by 6am for my 7am flight to Amsterdam.

We didn't make it on the first try. We only made it 5 miles down the road and the pain was excruciating, I couldn't imagine driving the 2 1/2 hours to the airport. We turned around and tried to imagine how we could reschedule both of our flights.

Twenty minutes later (after some aspirin), I felt better and was determined to make it, so we headed out again. It was still pitch dark and raining cats and dogs. The car navigator picked the weirdest route for us in all creation -- through every little town and curving mountain road, which of course was a real joy to navigate in my condition. After an hour of this, I really couldn't drive any more, so Liz took over. Finally, on the motorway to Munich, I realized that I was doubling over in pain. We decided to call Herr Dr. Thaller, and fortunately he answered the phone at 5:30am, and told us to come back to the clinic for an examination.

After a quick ultrasound once-over, he diagnosed me with a swollen lymph node, which was blocking the ureter from the kidney and causing pain. He sent us to the hospital, and fortunately they found out that a big dose of ibuprofen would keep me out of pain for a few hours. They told me to wait overnight, and if I was still in pain, I needed to go to a bigger hospital with a urology department.

So then we began to wait. (Meanwhile, we had to find a new flight, a place to stay for the evening, etc. etc.) The ibuprofen worked like in a charm, but going to bed that evening I felt woozy -- and that night I sweat more than I ever have in my entire life. The bed was literally dripping from head to toe, I must have put out a couple of quarts of sweat.

But by morning I felt great, and didn't need any more ibuprofen! The sweatstorm was the breaking of the fever, or infection, or whatever had caused the lymph node to swell up. And in retrospect, it was to be expected with the dendritic cell therapy: my prostate had previously swollen up for a couple of days. In the fight against cancer, infection is a great tool: it's what happens to me every day during fever therapy, and almost every example of spontaneous remission has involved a serious infection. Something about the immune system absolutely flipping out allows it to attack cancer cells that it had previously ignored.

Today we had a 6-mile hike through the mountains to the next village of Pappenheim -- it was a perfectly gorgeous Fall day and I was so grateful to be walking through it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Nick. You are really amazing. Thank you for keeping us up to date with your experience. I'm so pleased that you have wonderful walks with Liz there with you. Sending you bountiful love.

Polar Bear said...

Hey Nick! Interesting and promising treatment. People used to give themselves malaria to cure syphilis because the high fever could wipe out the venereal disease before the advent of modern antibiotics. Then they would only have the malaria to deal with. I have found that high dose olmesartan may be an excellent way to prevent adhesion of any METS. I have been involved in the treatment of a loved one with osteosarcoma who was only given 3 months to live after amputation who is doing well after 24 months now. Low dose naltrexone also looks promising in some cancers by modulating the immune system. I am convinced that cell wall deficient bacteria (otherwise know as L-forms or nanobacteria) are almost always involved in the development of prostate cancers; and that specific low dose pulsed antibiotics can attack these forms if used in conjunction with the olmesartan and specific lifestyle changes. Naturally none of this is medical advice but the rantings of a mad man/bear. You might find interesting the book "The Cancer Microbe" by Dr Alan Cantwell Jr or the work of Dr. Virginia Livingston. She was a science rebel (not a quack)who managed to cure a number of folks given up on by mainstream oncology.
love, Polar Bear

Linda O. said...

Hello my darling friend! I just found out about your illness from Donna G. and am still in a bit of shock. Please know that I am sending you lots of health, hope, peace, LOVE, and honor as you overcome this thing. Also a little bit of moolah - what I could. I hope your progress amazes everyone. Remember that we love you.

Anonymous said...

Nick,

John (housemate) alerted me to the existence of your blog tonight. I am amazed by the therapies you're doing, by your attitude (and Liz's), and by the wonderful sense that health is returning to your body.

John also mentioned a music benefit at the end of this month. Please send me info.

Your caring friend, Katherine

Donnatellavision said...

Dearest Nick!
I will continue to do what I can remotely for your well-being --- including a Tibetan Buddhist healing visualization for you -- you'd like this one, it's very colorful -- ever so unco!
u r
2 unco
2 be
4 gotten
yours,
Donna G