Sunday, April 5, 2009

¡Bienvenidos a México!




Today we arrived at the US border, 3 hours late after hitting tons of traffic in LA. I am always excited by that moment when the endless streatch of interstate (+ malls + suburbs + stores + restaurants) actually DOES come to an end and we have finally run out of US land to drive through.

Jesus (the driver) is there to take us across the border, and we cruise through Immigration and head across the mountains, away from the main part of Tijuana, toward Playas de Tijuana. On the way we chat with another couple from the clinic, he has prostate cancer as well. After 15 minutes of driving parallel to the border fence, we pull off by the bullfighting ring, and turn left to land at our little clinic -- it's directly across the street from the Pacific, and the view from our room is gorgeous! We can hear the crashing surf from our window, and our view is a riot of people and color and shops. From the instant I arrive I'm swarmed by doctors and nurses (there's a staff of 10 of them here, for only four patients! I give my medical history, hand over my records to be copied, and get checked out from head to toe. I already feel VERY taken care of here!

That night the nurse brings me 12 of the RaphaChlor capsules -- the special chlorophyll formulation that I will take which will be the center piece of the sonodynamic therapy. I'm instructed to let each one dissolve slowly underneath my tongue...in ABSOLUTE darkness so that the photosynthesis of each capsule isn't triggered. Sounds easy, but it takes an hour and a half of cowering underneath the covers, sucking on the capsules!

No comments: