Monday, March 2, 2009

uh-oh, problems are advancing

I had a visit with Dr. Sunkara's team today, and it reinforced my sense of urgency to find (and start!) another treatment plan very soon.

My PSA has jumped to 659. That doesn't have an impact on me by itself -- it just means I have a lot of cancer floating around my system. What worries me is my low (and dropping) red blood cell and platelet counts. I'm coming in to the doctor's office to have them tested every week or so; when they drop below a specified level, I'll need to get a blood transfusion to boost my red blood cells. This will actually be great, as I am starting to feel very weak in the afternoons because of the anemia.

I definitely want my next treatment to get started before I get stuck in some hospital hooked up to a machine. As long as I'm ambulatory and independent, there are things I can do to put the cancer in check.


No comments: