Sunday, March 15, 2009

oops, a little blood leak...

The last week or so has been pretty interesting...in the sense of seeing new phenomena in my body that I'd rather not see.

I started losing some blood through my urine...not painful, but I'm really not used to seeing something the color of Hawaiian Punch in that neck of the woods!  At the same time, I started becoming noticeably weaker -- by mid-afternoon every day, I really needed a nap.

Blood tests showed that my red blood cell count was dangerously low (10.2) -- I was suffering from anemia.  The doctors originally thought it was due to a urinary tract infection, and gave me a round of antibiotics to combat it.  This did nothing.  I came up with a more likely cause when I noticed a bruise developing at the bottom of my ribs. My hypothesis (admittedly nothing more than the opinion of a *very* interested layperson) is that the metastases growing on my ribs were causing some internal bleeding, which was being siphoned off by my kidneys into my urine.

I got a blood transfusion last week at Alta Bates, which helped my strength somewhat. And fortunately, the (external) bleeding has completely stopped.  I never was in any pain -- but it was a definite (and STRONG) reminder that I need to get myself into a powerful treatment program ASAP!

No comments: